Thursday, December 3, 2009

House stress

I guess I pissed off the seller, who'd let us contact him by email with questions over the last month. We asked for all the surveys/permits/plans/mechanical drawings etc for the house last week (had tried to get them a month ago, but didn't specifically ask for each thing that had been outlined in our purchase agreement). Got an email back saying that he knew he had them, but they were in storage somewhere and would take a while to find. There was no time frame given on how long that would be.
So yesterday I decided to follow up and ask one quick question while I was at it. I just asked him how long he thought it was going to be before he got his hands on them. The email that came back said something to the effect of 'I'm insanely busy, have no time, and to be honest, finding them will be a "last minute detail".' I risked his ire by writing back to ask whether by that he meant sometime in Jan (like a week before we close), and sure enough, no response, but his agent called our agent to ask that we not contact him directly again.
Figures. He'd offered to let us in to the house extra times if necessary, been very open with info, and had been very helpful thus far. Up until the point where it would be really inconvenient for him.
I sure hope he still lets in the contractor that he'd used previously who was going to check things out today to give us a second quote on the reno work. Pray for me that I haven't shot myself in the foot on that one!

4 comments:

Jules a.k.a. Julie said...

Ah, man! Like that's what you need, Kate-- more stress! Hopefully, the owner will chill out and all will go smoothly from this point forward. In my experience, I have learned that real estate deals can get crazy, so perhaps it is best if the agents do the communicating. Less stress for you.

MMC said...

Sorry for your real estate headaches. It sounds like he's been generally reasonable before now, so hopefully he'll chill out and continue on that path. I wouldn't blame yourself too much, though. Remember that it's December, which seems to make a whole lot of people a bit crazy. Plus, he's probably stressing about his own move... so he's probably not mad at you as much as he's just hit his limit with everything going on. There's a good chance that if you play nice with his real estate agent, he'll accommodate the contractor visits. I hope so! :)

Btw, congrats on your impending return to the work. Great, great news! I'm glad you're doing so well.

Kate said...

so glad you'll be able to ease back into work-- that is great news! And I sure hope your house stress settles down--

selling/buying a house is monster stress no matter what- I hope you are able to get through it with minimal drama.

thinking of you,
kate

Dandle Dreams said...

December is such a busy month - everything trying to finish up all their tasks for the year. Only one more week until you are in the third trimester. Hope that everything goes smoothly from here on in, both inside the uterus and out.