Saturday, July 7, 2012

First haircut and big girl bed

Today is a day of milestones.
I finally trimmed K's hair for the first time tonight as it was getting very long and scraggly in the back. And now I feel guilty because I forgot to get DH to take a photo as I did it. Grandma was here to help her hold still (though she only sat on Grandma's knees for the first big snip, and the second two were done while she sat on my crossed legs on the floor).
K also slept in her big girl bed (that Grandma brought up yesterday since she has sold her house) this afternoon for the first time for her nap. We built it in the morning, made it up with her new pillow from Ikea (she's been insisting on having a "pillow" which has been a folded up A&A blanket since we got back from our Sardinian vacation where she had a toddler pillow in her pack 'n play).  At first, I thought it would be a lost cause as I couldn't get her to settle down and she climbed out twice, but then she stayed in complaining about something until Grandma went up (against my wishes) to have a quick talk with her. After that, all was quiet and she slept for 2 hours before we woke her up.
My baby is definitely not a baby any more. She's saying some incredible sentences that I can't even remember any more. She can stand briefly on one foot to put the other one into her pants. She's put on her own sandals (with a velcro strap that goes through a tiny loop and behind her heels). She's always worried about other babies who are crying or sad. I think she shows rather a lot of empathy for a 2 1/3 year old.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Such a big girl!