Friday, March 11, 2011

Anxiety

At DH's request, I went to see our family doc on Thurs night to talk about what's going on. Her first comment was that it could well be related to stopping/cutting back on pumping, though unlikely is related to the domperidone stopping. Then she asked if I didn't think that underneath it all I might have a bit of an anxiety problem.
Hmm.
That would explain the irritable bowel symptoms I've been having (diarrhea, belching, feeling constantly wound up in my stomach, no appetite). And why I just feel on edge all the time the last week or so. And the insomnia. And maybe why going out of town and having a change of scenery last weekend helped.
Really, I know logically that there's nothing I need to worry about right now. That the house is ok, that if for some reason I weren't able to work, we'd be ok on DH's salary. That DD is wonderful and thriving. We're ok for money, we're happy together, I enjoy my job. What more could a girl want?
And yet I lie there in bed at night, awake, thinking about how I'll feel the next day if I can't sleep, worrying that I might not look after my patients ideally (when really, I did just fine on broken sleep for months while pumping twice in the middle of the night). And worrying about how I won't be able to keep up my energy levels on the amount I've been eating lately. Nothing appeals to me, and I have to force the food down. Tonight I resorted to drinking a slimfast meal replacement before trying to go to sleep, just to get some protein and more calories into me.
I know that a few days of eating less won't really hurt me, and that if I can get through this anxious time and feel better, my appetite will return again. And yet somehow knowing that doesn't really help.
I've asked to take the week after next off of work (though I'm on call on the weekend) so that I can try to relax and sleep on my own without pills, and try to cope a little better.
I don't know why this is coming to a head now. I just know that it feels awful, and like I don't have a lot of control over the situation.
My family doc told me the name of a book she wants me to read, which I'm going to go out and get tomorrow. Hopefully it will provide some insight. She also said she waits for symptoms to go on 6 months or so before prescribing meds. For now, she gave me a refill of my sleeping pills, since that's what I feel like I really need to keep me going. I don't want to get dependent on them either though.
Life is just kicking my butt a little right now. I never though of myself as having a mental illness, but I can certainly see why she says I've got a bit of an anxiety disorder. I hope it gets better very soon!

10 comments:

one-hit_wonder said...

Anxiety runs in my family. It sucks. I hope you get the help you need.

Michelle said...

Good for you (and DH) for visiting the doctor. Your anxiety may have always been an issue but is just starting to show itself now that life is somewhat calm for you. I agree with your doctor about waiting for 6 months of symptoms to pass before looking at meds. I recognize some anxiety in myself and it's been an interesting road. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Anonymous said...

Don't wait six months for meds...that is a really long time to live with anxiety/depression.

((HUGS)) - you are not alone.

Anonymous said...

What a tough situation to be in! You have so much on your mind and then to have that interfere with eating and sleeping. I don't really have any words of advice - sorry - but just want you to know that I'm thinking about you and hoping you find some peace and rest soon.

Amanda said...

I am going though a lot of this right now too. I think I have suffered from anxiety for years. It took me months to even get in to see a therapist and I only made one appointment and it will take another month to get to the second one and so far we haven't finished the history. I think stress has a way of catching up with us. I put up with a lot of stuff last year and now it seem like much less is bothering me a lot more these days.

Some days I think about quiting BFing so that I can drug myself up guilt free.

Springroll said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through this...but very glad you sought help from doc!! Thinking of you...

Elisabeth said...

So sorry you are going through this I can completely sympathize. Good for you for seeking answers early on. I believe I probably waited too long that is why I am in the place I am now. Take one day at a time that is the best you can do. Big hugs

Victoria said...

Kate, you've been through much: trying to get pregnant, passing your medical school exams, getting pregnant, having a baby, buying a house, finding a nanny, working, taking care of your baby, breast-feeding, all the other stuff in-between... I guess, somehow, your body start reacting to some things.
I hope you'll get the right treatment to heal your body.

Karin said...

Hi, I have been following your blog for a while but never commented. I just wanted you to know that I went through this, too..it took about 4 months and I took st.. Johns whart (I think this is what it is called...I am a German speaker). On the brighter side, I am really happy again now...so remember there is light at the end of the tunnel! A lot of times, it is related to sopping breast feeding and changing hormon levels.
Get well soon!

Maya said...

Can you try 2-3 lessons of instructor-led hatha yoga, just to see if that's something you could do? I found that after yoga classes I felt more relaxed and slept better. On very stressful days I even cried after lessons. It seems that all those emotions that are hidden away inside were let out, but it was such a huge relief. I hope you will feel better soon!