Monday, February 28, 2011

Sick girl

My poor adventurous sweetie (who has also tried Vietnamese, Indian, and Thai/Khmer food in the week or so) seems to be sick. I came home from work today, and Tita told me she was much quieter than usual today, and didn't eat as much lunch. When I took her axillary temperature, it was 100.4F, so a low-grade fever. She has one tooth that is close to breaking through, but she didn't act the same with her other two teeth. She was very clingy, and snuggled up with her head on my chest to suck on her favourite fingers for a good part of the evening.
She managed to eat a little dinner, and then snuggled a bit more before her bedtime bottle. No crazy crawling all over getting into things tonight. I got her changed, fed her her bottle, and then went into the kitchen to get her toothbrush to brush her teeth. Normally she'll open her mouth and chomp on the brush, but not tonight. Tonight she refused. And turned her head. And then opened her mouth and threw up all over me and the kitchen floor. And her sleep sac. But a good part of it ended up in the pocket of my hoodie, which was pretty gross. I rinsed off the hoodie, changed and rinsed her clothes, and then put her to bed so that I could go clean up the huge puddle on the kitchen floor.
My poor sweetie pie. I feel so helpless seeing her sick. I know there's not much to do other than keep an eye on the temperature, try to keep her hydrated with water and breast milk, and offer her bits of solids. Logically, the doctor part of me knows that, but the mother worries. So now I'm going to go upstairs and sneak into her room and listen to her breathing, and then head to bed with the monitor turned on for the night in case she wakes and needs me.
(Last night she woke screaming at 12:40am, and I found her on her tummy with her head pushed into the bars at the foot of her crib. She didn't seem terribly awake, but I picked her up to comfort her, and rocked her as she took in sobbing little breaths for a couple minutes before putting her back to bed).
I hope my darling girl feels better soon. This would all have to happen with DH out of town on business. I'd so much rather have him here with me, even though he's nonmedical and would probably just worry more than me.
And in other news, I've been down to once a day pumping since Sat, and only made 6oz of milk today, down from 10oz yesterday. The end is approaching far more rapidly than I expected, now that I'm off the domperidone entirely.

6 comments:

What IF? said...

I'm so sorry to read about your beautiful girl being sick, and you having to go it alone at the moment. It's just heartbreaking when they're not eating, and clearly feeling miserable, and there's not much you can do - even as a doctor - aside from helping them ride it out. I hope she feels better very soon.

Thank you for the sweet, supportive comment on my blog tonight.

Victoria said...

You just reminded of the other side of caring for children. You seemed to handle it well and your words showed how caring you are.

Hope K. feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

Ah, poor little sweetie pie. Hopefully it's a quickly passing bug and she's back to her crazy self soon.

Just this morning I dropped our AM feeding, so we are down to just one, too, right before bed. Can't believe the end is almost here. Have to admit, I'm ready for it!

Shelly said...

I feel your pain! Nevaeh was sick for 3 days, Puke and Poo = YUCK!

Lisa said...

I hope Kara feels better soon! Noah has been under the weather since last Wednesday. It's no fun seeing your baby so unhappy.

Springroll said...

Oh gosh, just read your post...hope she's feeling much better. Don't you feel helpless when your little is sick?? Sending you both hugs...