Tuesday, February 15, 2011

First full table food dinner


K and I shared our first dinner tonight where she ate the same food as I did, albeit chopped up more. It was hopefully-not-too-freezerburned spaghetti sauce with high-fibre spaghetti noodles cooked up fresh.
She cried bitterly when I tried to give her pasta and tomato sauce from a jar yesterday, which tasted pretty darn bland when I tried it after she refused. She then proceeded to chow down on torn up chunks of chicken, spinach and potato puree, and toast with melted cheese on top. I guess it really wasn't lack of hunger than made her emphatically refuse the gross pasta.
Tonight I thought I'd try adult-style pasta sauce, even though I was a little worried about the sodium content given that I usually put condensed tomato soup and canned tomatoes in my homemade sauce. Then I figured she'd probably have so little of the sauce, that it wouldn't likely harm her. She really seemed to enjoy the meal, and did very well chewing up the noodles and sauce.
I think we're definitely going to have to move dinner time to 6:30pm so we can eat with her, and will have to start giving her more table food. That also means we're going to have to start eating a better more balanced diet, and the take-out meals will have to get cut back dramatically. I might even have to start cooking more again, rather than just leaving it for DH to take care of while I snuggle with K and give her her bedtime bottle on the couch.

2 comments:

Springroll said...

Oh, Kate! You are so lucky that your little bunny is such a good little eater!! I get the sense from my little monkey that he WANTS to eat table food, but can't seem to SWALLOW it!! Since my last post on my blog, he regressed big time...started vomiting at every meal, including straight purees. I was so freaked out that I finally took him to see the doc and she couldn't find any reason for his vomiting. She said it was likely psychological - and said I had to start pretty much at the beginning with him again to get him to keep food down and trust what was given to him. So that's where we're at...just purees again.
Your sweetie is just so adorable...and almost one!! Sigh. How are you feeling about how quickly she's grown?

Victoria said...

It's so good to cherish those "first" moments and you're doing exactly that, not only with pictures but with words. K will really appreciate this when she grows up.

I don't blame her for refusing the bland food over your home-cooked meal. And, as young as she is, she wants to eat what you're eating and by eating together you're starting a family tradition - a good one.

Her hair is getting longer too.