I've been getting anxious about the end of pumping again, and wanted to try a homo milk taste test today (like I did with formula before reducing the number of pumps a day at 6 months). It didn't go so well - she'll hardly drink any and will then make faces like I'm trying to poison her with sips of milk.
I sure hope that she'll get to like it more in the future! Any advice you can give on introducing milk would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to have to get on the ball with introducing more people food too. Tonight I ate dinner while she ate so that I could pump right after I put her in bed (I'm down to two pumps a day now that DH is away for a week on business), and she mowed down a half a large jar of baby food plus a bunch of little pieces of my chicken breast, plus some chunks of Brussel sprouts, plus some toast and melted cheese. I couldn't believe how much she ate, and I be she could have eaten even more. I think this means DH and I should start having family dinners with her at 6-6:30pm, rather than eating at 8pm after she's in bed. I bet she'd love more real food instead of the slightly bland purees from the jars. Looks like I'd better start cooking again...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I have a couple of things to say about homo milk:
First, I truly believe that no matter how you go about introducing milk, K will either like it or not. Shaun still doesn't really like milk for drinking (although we don't make it a choice whether he drinks it), Ian will work on the same cup all day long taking little sips here and there (even as a young toddler he got 90% of his dairy from sources other than milk), and Kyle LOVES milk. He easily drinks 30oz a day or more! I introduced it in the same way for each kid.
Second, it may take some trial and error. Does K take a sippy cup? I would recommend keeping breastmilk in the bottle and milk in a sippy cup. No sense in introducing milk and then having to wean her off the bottle in a couple of months. That being said, though, perhaps she'll adjust to milk better if you gradually increase the ratio with her breastmilk. Like 90/10 for a couple of days, then 80/20, and so on. Ideally she won't even notice the change. Worse case scenario she's more like my two oldest and continues to get her dairy from other sources.
Good luck!! I'm still so impressed she's still on breastmilk at 11 months old!! :)
From what I've seen/read, whole cow's milk is easiest on baby's stomachs starting at a year of age. Apparently it can irritate the stomach lining if babies are chugging it before 12 months (?). That said, however, I did offer a bit to Ninja starting from around 10 months - because my family has a dairy background and milk never killed any of them, haha - but she really only started drinking it when she capitulated to using a cup/sippy cup a few weeks ago (around 1 year old). She likes it. Hope that helps.
Huge kudos to you for still having K on breastmilk - I'm inspired by your dedication!
I wish I knew the magic trick. Maybe keep trying and she'll finally give in.
I'm not much help in the milk area. We just now are getting Birdie to drink milk with any regularity from a sippy cup. We tried both organic whole milk and lact aid, and it seemed to me that she was having problems (intestinally and sleep wise) with the regular milk, so we have stuck with the lact aid for now.
For us it was a very slow process. I wasted a ton of milk in sippy cups that she completely ignored for weeks. Then she would take a sip and spit it out. Then a week or so later she would take a sip and not spit it out. Now she will actually drink an ounce or so once or twice a day. I know that seems silly, but it is a major improvement for us.
I would also suggest a mixture, gradually increasing the milk part of the ratio.
Good luck!
We are going through this right now and it's very slow going. M will not take breastmilk in a sippy/bottle... it causes anxiety and big issues so I don't bother trying to mix it. My plan is just to offer it often. He will will take a sip and make a face and not touch the sippy again. I figure after he's done that a couple of dozen times he'll probably get over it. If that doesn't work we may have to bait him with some chocolate or maybe see if pediasure gets a better response or something. I think we will be wasting lots of milk.
We are trying to eat dinner earlier with M too. It's a PIA to get our dinner done by six, but at least I'm at home now so it's not impossible.
Post a Comment