Wednesday, December 15, 2010

In Turkey

Wow, it was quite the adventure getting here. First we were two hours late leaving the first airport. The first delay was that they couldn't load fresh water onto the plane because the pipes were frozen shut. It took them ages to get them thawed and take on water. Then we headed for de-icing, and wouldn't you know it, the de-icing truck broke down just as they finished, and was standing right behind one of our engines, which had to be shut down until they could get the truck out of the way. I couldn't believe it.
K was very good the whole time. We had a noisy 2 year old and a 2 month old (or so) in the row behind us who made a fair bit of noise. The two year old unfortunately woke K up at one point with his screaming. We weren't allowed to use the bassinet, so DH ended up holding her for the whole flight on his lap, since we couldn't figure out a comfortable way for her to sleep in the seat between us (bulkhead seat, so the arm rests wouldn't lift up). It also took them forever to finish meal service and duty free, since there were delays for turbulence, so the lights were up in the cabin till really late, and we'd been counting on dim lights to help us get K down for the night. We were also sitting right next to the bathroom, so there was constant door-clacking and lights shining on us. K probably slept off and on for 4-5 hours, DH pretty much not at all (he was worried about letting her slip off his lap), and I dozed off and on for 2-3 hours tops. I pumped after we got on the plane, once in the middle of the flight, and once before landing.
Because of the two hour delay, we missed our connecting flight. We got rebooked on another one leaving 2 hours later, but sure enough, that flight also ended up being delayed for 2 hours. First they had to search for and unload the luggage of two people who didn't show up for the flight, then who knows what else delayed us further. I pumped before takeoff, and then didn't get a chance until 7 hours later (I'm on a 5 hour schedule these days). K dozed a couple times on the flight, and was overall in a pretty good mood for someone who'd missed out on her big 12 hour sleep.
I was worried constantly about running out of milk (only took 2 bottles along), since I wasn't sure how we'd change the feeding schedule with the time change. In the end, we'd ordered infant meals on Air Canada, so we were given a jar of fruit and a jar of meat and veg twice on the flight, so she got meat and veg for an early breakfast, and she went through a lot of water in her sippy cup too.
Aside from the delays, one of the low points of the day was the diaper blowout DH had to deal with just before landing (while I was pumping) when he went to change her before we changed flights. There was poop all up her back, and he didn't take the time to strip off her pants, just tried to wipe them off, so she stank to high heaven when he brought her back out to our seats. First thing I did was change the pants.
Another sad thing: a Sick Kids pediatrician and I volunteered to help out when they called overhead for any doctor on board. We assessed a little girl, decided there was nothing really wrong with her, and for our troubles were given a bottle of wine each by Air Canada. Sadly, we had to go through another security check before getting on our connecting flight, and they confiscated it and threw it out. :(
After we arrived in Istanbul, the passport control guy greeted her by name, which was pretty cute. And then we unfortunately arrived to find our drivers holding a sign with DH's name on it, but the name of a different hotel on it. DH said he bet that they were shipping us to a place different than the suite we'd booked (just like in Cuba), and sure enough, he was right. Supposedly the heating went out in the place we'd booked, so they stuck us in a hotel for the night. The crib was a playpen with the bottom lined by a duvet (made me nervous - at least she's out of the real danger zone for SIDS). We maneuvered it in to a darker corner of the room, since we got in around 7pm and wanted to try to get her down for the night. Then DH went out to get water and food for us while I fed K and got her ready for bed. We ended up eating our dinner sitting in the bathroom while she fell asleep in the dark room.
The next few hours were hell, as she kept waking up and crying. We went to bed around 10:15pm, and around 12:30am or so decided to see if she was hungry and that was why she was crying so much. All she drank was 1oz of milk, and then finally went to sleep for the night after a little more crying. I was amazed to get up to pump at 2:15am to find her still sleeping, and more amazed to wake up at 7:30am to pump to find her still sleeping. I passed out again, but she finally got up for the day at 8am and I forced myself to get around to pumping then.
Breakfast was good, and K got to try a little Turkish cheese. They've now found us a suite hotel to spend the rest of the week in, as I was crying last night at not having a kitchen with fridge/freezer and kettle for K's food prep. We were also hoping to avoid having to have too many evening meals sitting in the bathroom while K sleeps in the regular room - our suite has a separate bedroom and sitting area. Hope it will be good!

4 comments:

pregnant in Manhattan said...

When I flew to Asia a few wks ago with my 2.5 month old I similarly found the bassinet useless but used a sling to get some shut eye and not tire myself out holding my daughter in my lap on a 24 HR flight

Michelle said...

What a small world, my parents are traveling to Istanbul in the spring to celebrate their anniversary! (If you remember, they went to India for their anniversary last year <:O )

You're SO lucky to have such an easy going baby! I'm sure she'll fall right back into routine. I'm also very glad to see that you're not letting a child prevent you from traveling the world. I'm jealous you and DH are such world travelers!!! Have fun. :)

Springroll said...

Oh Kate - you are going to LOVE Turkey! We went there for our honeymoon and I still have fond memories of the Grand Bazaar and the Aya Sofia...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! As for your little miss - yes, her sleep will be disturbed (Mason was totally affected by the jet lag during our trip to Maui last week, and that's only a three hour difference!!), but she'll bounce back quickly - she's such a good little girl!
As per your offer on my blog to e-mail you for more nanny hiring info, I don't know how to get hold of you. Do you want me to message you on IVF.ca? What's your member name on there?
Merry Christmas to you and yours and have a great trip!!

Jill M. said...

Wow, what an ordeal! Glad you made it safely, now enjoy your time to the fullest!