Friday, December 17, 2010

9 months (yesterday)

I'm a little late with the 9 months post. Meant to get to it yesterday, but didn't. Maybe I can blame DH for hogging the laptop?
Not too much is new since the last update on K's achievements. She's adjusting remarkably well to the jetlag, even sleeping till after 9am this morning. She did have a crying jag around 10pm last night, just as we were going to bed. She's still very close to crawling, but not completely there yet. She's getting much better at walking along when you hold both her hands. 2 weeks ago, she wasn't really picking up her feet one after the other. Now, she'll alternate moving her feet very easily.
I wonder if I'm starting to see two little teeth just below the gumline on the bottom. I guess only time will tell. It's probably about time she got a couple teeth though.
K's starting to eat more regular food. I've gotten adventurous on this trip and have been giving her little tastes of what I'm eating, as the food is surprisingly not salty. First it was some cheese at breakfast, then beans at lunch a couple days ago, then a little pide with meat (Turkish pizza) on top, and then this morning some cheese on bread. So far so good - the rash she had on her cheeks on the flight over has cleared up mostly, and she's looking good. I hope I can get a little more adventurous with her foods quickly, since it'd be much easier to give her mushed up table food than to make other stuff just for her. Why did I buy 4 baby food recipe books that I've hardly looked at?
People here seem to love K. I guess she's a lot more close to blonde than most of their babies, and they're very child-friendly, so we go into a restaurant, and all the waiters swing by to smile and check her out. The odd one will come in to pinch her cheek.
She's a real sweetheart these days!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I admire you for being adventurous enough to travel internationally with a wee one. I'm dreading our 1.5 hour flight to Minneapolis tomorrow! Glad you're enjoying your trip! Hard to believe Kara is 9 months. Being pregnant for 9 months felt like forever, but the time since has flown. Happy Holidays to your family!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate, in regards to the question you posted on my blog regarding our eating schedule...

So, I was breastfeeding Emma 4 times a day - when she got up, after first nap, after second nap and then before bed. But she more often than not would fight one of the feedings so I decided to drop to three and we haven't had any fights since. So she gets fed when she gets up (around 7am), after her first nap (around 11am), and then before bed (around 6pm). I'm not overly confident that she is getting the amount of milk that she should. I was gone for a few days so hubby had to feed her bottles and she was only drinking about 15oz a day. That seems too low to me but I don't know what else to do since she fights an additional feeding.

She gets 3 solid meals, usually around 8am, 12pm, and 5pm. She is turning into a little piggy pie, too, dramatically increasing the amount of solids she wants. In fact, I think she'd just keep eating indefinitely until I stopped feeding her. I'm trying to give her more table food, too, just cutting up into little bites whatever we are eating. And she seems fine with everything we've given her. Today I even gave her a few little bites of an enchilada!

So, that's our schedule more or less. No idea if I'm doing everything right. You read a lot of books on being pregnant, having a baby, and breastfeeding, but I know very little about how to make sure she is getting the nutrition that she needs. It was much easier when it was all milk!

And I'll send a crawl to you right away. Just get the "ma ma" here in time for Christmas :)

Dandle Dreams said...

Welcome to Europe little K. Bet you're getting an impressive collection of stamps on your tiny passport.

Hope that she is keeping to her schedule, and glad that the locals recognise how adorable she is.