Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Update on Mum situation

Leaves are fun!

We sent my Mum a long email to let her know how we felt on Thanksgiving weekend, and got one back from her the next day. She still won't admit that it was inappropriate of her to ask how much Dad paid for his condo - says it was disrespectful of me to say it isn't for discussion. But she did admit to lashing out, and to having trouble letting go of her role as advice-giver in my life. She now says she'll just abide by our routines and not offer advice. We'll see how that goes. It wasn't so much her offering her advice, but how she was doing it. We also told her that we can't handle the mood swings, and don't want K to grow up thinking it's ok to take off to her room and slam the door when she's upset. It seems we'll be chasing Mum down to ask her what has set her off if she continues to have trouble communicating why she's upset.

In other news, K has now had some green beans, and surprised me by liking them - they're not as sweet as most other stuff she's had. She's still easily constipated, and had a little blood on her stool tonight. Poor baby. I gave her prunes for dinner to loosen things up again. She also tried baby yogurt for the first time last week, and liked it too. DH is convinced it made her pukey, so she hasn't had it again.

She still has no interest in lying on her back or tummy, but has started to roll around a little when I make her do tummy time or back time. She pretty easily gives up in frustration and starts to cry when she's left lying there though, so I don't know how long it's going to take her to get to the trying-to-crawl phase. For now, all she wants to do is sit up and play with stuff. She has a toy "gumball" machine where there's a lever to push that releases a ball and plays music and flashes lights, and she has mastered that toy. She just loves to push the lever and get her reward.

K has also started to learn how to really use a sippy cup, though more water lands on her front than down her throat. Tonight she was holding it to her mouth herself, but kept letting water collect in her mouth and then dribble out onto her chest. She was completely soaked by the time she was done trying to drink.

I ran out of my blessed thistle and fenugreek about a week ago. I think production is starting to slack off a little, which I'm torn about. On the one hand I'd like to keep providing K with the best (breast milk) for as long as I can bear it. On the other hand it would be nice to get all that pumping time back (especially the middle-of-the-night time), and be free to do any list at work, or to go to any clinic to work. It would also be nice to not have to stress about how much I'm producing each day. I'm not sure whether I should start tapering off the pumping even more, or just continue as is. For now, all is staying the same.

8 comments:

Shelly said...

She is simply adorable!

Shelly said...

PS....Your daughter, not your Mom! LOL

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful picture. What a little doll baby! Hope everything gets sorted out with your mom. Ah, isn't family just so much fun?

Amanda said...

Cute picture! I'm glad it seems that your mom was willing to listen.

My nephew hated being on his belly and never really crawled, but he walked on time, so all the same right?

Jill M. said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the pic of K in the leaves!!! If that's not a professional pic, it sure looks like one.

Once Upon A Time said...

LOVE the picture. I think it is so interesting how babies can be so different- Sam and Anna still have no interest in sitting, but (especially Sam) are very motivated to move by rolling around or some form of army crawling. I wish they'd be content to sit and play with stuff!

Ah- I hear ya on the mom drama, I've got some of my own. When do the tables turn and we end up being the more mature adults than our moms?

As for the naps, we worked hard on using the pick-up/put down method from the Baby Whisperer over the end of summer, and that helped. Then when we started having 45 min naps again, I took that as a sign that the naps weren't working for them they way their were anymore, and lengthened their awake time. When we transitioned from 3-2 naps, we changed the schedule (like I posted) and gave them a short 30 min catnap at 4:30 if they were tired then (so 2 longer naps, and a catnap to tide them over until bedtime). Once they started seeming less tired at 4:30 pm, we dropped the catnap. Sometimes Sam still gets a little catnap at 4:30, because he tends to need just a little more daytime sleep than Anna (I think because he's still having one MOTN feeding).

How long is Kara awake before her nap? Not knowing her awake time, I would maybe try to lengthen it so she's more tired for her nap to make it longer. Or, if you noticed, we feed a solids meal 30 mins before a nap, so I think their tummies are able to wait longer for that next bottle. I don't know when you feed Kara solids, but you could try moving that around too and see if that makes a difference.

one-hit_wonder said...

cutie pie! i can't wait to come to toronto: we have to have a playdate!

Victoria said...

K is like a doll and I like the picture with the leaves. I can imagine seeing her drink from her cup with the drink dribbling before her.

I think your mom is just stubborn.