Sunday, October 10, 2010

Family visit stress again

Well, I've already gotten into an argument with my mother this Thanksgiving weekend. Took less than 24 hours.
K's schedule is:
Up 7:30-8:00
5oz milk 8:00. Nap around 10:00.
Solids and 3oz milk 11:00, nap around 13:00.
5oz milk 14:00, nap around 16:00.
5oz milk 17:00
Solids and 3oz milk 19:30. Bed before 20:00.
So she got up, had her bottle, was happy, but dressed by DH in dirty clothes from yesterday by accident. She doesn't enjoy getting changed usually. Then Grandma took over to play for a bit, and I thought I'd go upstairs and get dressed.
Next thing you know, she's a little fussy, and I hear Mum saying "Oh, you're still hungry", then sounds of action in the kitchen. And I go down to see K in the high chair, with Grandma preparing pear. I wanted to change her outfit anyhow, so of course she fussed/cried while I did that. And then I said that she doesn't normally get anything to eat until around 10:30. The response? "She was chewing on her hands. She's hungry. You're so rigid, why can't you just let me give her some pear?" I reiterated that she doesn't eat between feedings, and she sucks/chews on her hands even when she's just eaten. "You're never around, how would you know if she's hungry or not?"
Thanks Mom. Try to lay mommy guilt on me. And you're around even less than me!
Luckily DH and I are on completely the same page with K, so he could have my back. And then Mom took off unexpectedly to go to the gym, which gave us an hour or so of no stress. Hopefully the stress won't put off my milk production!

6 comments:

kayjay said...

Are you freaking kidding me??? What kind of comment is that?? Has she ever heard of a child chewing on their hands because they may be TEETHING??? K's about the right age and you never know how long they chew and chew and chew for until something finally appears. Good grief...and I can't believe she laid the Mommy guilt on you. How would SHE know since she spends even LESS time with K than you do? You know your child best - don't let her make you second guess yourself. Ugh - family can be great and terrible all at the same time, especially at the holidays.

Try to have a happy Canadian Thanksgiving all the same okay (eh?).

one-hit_wonder said...

oh, that was inappropriate of her. i'd be upset about that, too.

i hope you have a good thanksgiving, though!

Jill M. said...

I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is stressing you out again! It's so frustrating when grandparents who aren't around much decide they know better than the parents. Tyler sucks his hands constantly and he's not hungry 24/7.

Victoria said...

Grandparents forget when they were new parents. I hope you'll have less stress today.

Dandle Dreams said...

You've got little K's schedule all sorted out, and I don't see why your mother needs to claim that she knows best. And then to tell you that you're "never around" is just cruel.

Kate said...

BREATHE
if you can possibly remember to-- breathe, hydrate, and imagine your happy place.

I swear, sometimes "helpful" is just thinly disguised abuse.

Please take care of yourself as best you can during the visit,
and
thank you for your kindness too--
xo
Kate