Saturday, March 28, 2009

10 days till I can spend more time obsessing about IVF

Well, I'm in the final countdown. Only 8 days left to study for my licensing exams. It's killing me. I couldn't get to sleep without sleeping pills on Wed or Thurs night (thank God for zopiclone!). Friday, I didn't even bother trying. Interestingly, I thought I'd surf until I got drowsy, yet somehow over an hour later I was still going strong. Fell asleep right away though. And no hung-over feeling this morning. Other times I've taken it, when I'm just reading a silly book or lying there waiting for it to kick in, it's only taken about 30min. I guess it's just a really good hypnotic, and not a sedative!
Since my script was for 30, and I've used 6 so far, I should have enough to get me through the angst of the written exam, and even through the orals at the end of May. Thinking positively, I guess I'd better check if it's safe in pregnancy, or if I'll just be totally screwed if I get insomnia and a BFP...

5 comments:

one-hit_wonder said...

I adore Ativan to help me sleep. Can't take them too often, though, or they lose efficacy. :(

Hope studying is going well. I know firsthand how hard it is to do homework while cycling. I need to get my thesis done by June, but don't know if that will happen!

one-hit_wonder said...

Where on blogger can I find the cache option you mentioned? I checked through all the 'Settings' options, but I don't see it.

Thanks so much for helping me with this - I must sound neurotic, but for good reason! lol

one-hit_wonder said...

Soup recipe

Ingredients:
-potatoes, peeled and diced - LOTS (YUM!)
-1:1 ratio of finely chopped onion greens and that sauerampfer (or beet leaves) - you want lots of this, much more than you think, because it all wilts to nothing when it cooks and it's what gives the soup its main flavour. When I make a big pot, I use an armful of greens.
-enough pork product to make a good broth: e.g., a big hambone, farmer sausage, or canned ham with the broth.
-buttermilk (my mom does only a cup or two, but I use more)
-salt, to taste
-a bit of fresh dill (optional - not everyone uses this, but the taste is very nice)

Directions:
1) Fill a soup pot with water, and add the pork products. Let this simmer for a few hours. (The taste doesn't have to be strong, since the greens and the buttermilk add the rest of the flavour.) If you use a hambone, take it out at the end and let it cool so you can shred the meat to return to the pot.
2) Add potatoes and greens - cook for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are done. Don't boil the soup past this point, otherwise the potatoes will turn to mush. The greens should be wilted and dark.
3) Add a cup or two of buttermilk. I know it sounds weird, but don't omit this ingredient.
4) Simmer for a while, maybe half an hour or more, but be careful not to let it boil.
5) Add salt to taste, and dill if you want.

When I was a child, we ate this with fresh buns and butter, and raw milk to drink. Yum...

If your DH does find where to get seeds, let me know! :)

Elisabeth said...

Yes that had better be true for both of us, new houses and baby/babies in arms. Looks like Im ight have O'd on my bday now that has got to be something special lets hope

Kate said...

Thanks for the soup recipe! Apparently Sauerampfer is also called Sorrel in English, and I think you can actually get seeds online. I'll have to check it out more after this damn exam - you've totally got me salivating here!