Friday, January 9, 2009

The Rainbow Connection

You know how some songs take you right back to a certain stage in your life? I'm currently enjoying hearing Kermit the Frog sing The Rainbow Connection. Totally grade 6 for me, along with Out on the Mira and One Tin Soldier, which we had to sing together as a class. I've decided I have to listen to music to stay somewhat conscious while I study for my Royal College exams. If I'm not singing along or eating, I tend to fall asleep, even though I haven't been on call since Jan 3rd.
Currently I'm 3dpo in my latest cycle. I had my darling doc's blessing to go ahead with the femara + Gonal-F + HCG trigger as usual, even though she (and I) were both going to be out of town over Christmas. I got back on CD9, but she didn't get back till yesterday, so as usual I was checking on my own bloodwork results and doing my own scans. I think I had about 4 good folliicles at 21-22mm on trigger day, and another around 16mm. The E2 that day was 4948, and my LH hadn't surged yet, so I was pretty happy with those results. I took the liberty of upping my Gonal-F dose to 112.5IU/d again this cycle so I could see what the effects were. I figured it can't be too risky, since I've done a couple on 75IU/d, and my first cycle did a couple days at 75IU/d before bumping up to 150IU/d at my doc's request.
The major trauma this cycle was trying to get the BDing in at the right times. I was on call last Sat, and last Sun everything was ready for the trigger. So I gave myself my first IM HCG shot (one study I came across said there were better plasma levels with IM than SC) that evening around 6pm. Of course DH had gotten sick while I was on call, and felt like shit. So when I told him he was up for his part of the deal, he tried valiently to perform, but just couldn't. I panicked and cried for a while, thinking that $1200 of meds (luckily still paid for by insurance) and two weeks of blood pokes and scans and lots of effort on my part had just gone to waste. Tried again the next morning and early afternoon to no avail. Despite his best efforts, things just couldn't quite get there mechanically.
I was so pissed, and cried again, and then went off to my recurrent loss appointment. Dr L told me the karyotypes and coag testing were all normal, and he's convinced it's my PCOS causing egg quality problems and it's just a matter of finding the right egg. He didn't want to pursue autoimmune testing (though he'd told me I could last time). At the end of the visit, I said I was in a bit of a panic because DH couldn't do his bit as he was sick. He said a fever might impact the sperm a little, but men are weak. I should baby him, leave him alone for the rest of the day, buy him some cough/cold meds and dose him up, and then see what happened the next day. Told me that the follicles should still be fine the next day anyhow. Dr D wrote me the sweetest email as well, when I'd told her I was despairing that we'd have any faint hope this cycle after the nicest stim yet - said she feels bad for the men having to perform at a crucial instant, and that Tuesday would probably be better BD timing anyhow. That took the pressure off a little.
At any rate, DH and I went and picked out some cold/flu med, and by bedtime, he was willing to give it another try. Claimed it worked, so I felt much better just knowing we had a chance. I got lower abdo discomfort the next day around noon, and since my follicles were totally collapsed on scan by 5pm and some free fluid was floating around there, I'm pretty sure I ovulated that day. We BD'd once again at 7pm for good measure, so I guess we hit O-1 and O, which was the IUI timing we had for the short-lived BFP cycle in Sept-Oct (though it was 12h earlier on O-1 for the IUI). I hope it works a little better this time!
Anyhow, that's about all that's new here. Only another 8-9 days till I should have some idea what the outcome is. In the meantime, lots of studying will keep me distracted.

No comments: