Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Over 5 months old...




I can't believe my baby is getting so big! She was 6.76kg yesterday evening, or 14.9lb. We haven't measured her in a while. She's getting nice and fat as you can see in the pics - has rolls, and chubby cheeks, and is probably up to about the 35th-40th percentile as per the WHO. I think the avocado and sweet potato we've been stuffing her with has helped a lot.
I'm still exclusively pumping, and have 8 days to go till my 6 month goal. It's getting very old very fast now though, and I'd kill to sleep through the night like K does. She'll sleep 9-11h straight, while I get up twice to go pump for 30min. It's tiring, and between that and work, leaves me with minimal energy to enjoy K at the end of the day when I get home.
She's sitting up pretty well on her own now, only toppling over occasionally. She's got great fine motor skills, and is able to transfer a piece of paper or a toy from one hand to the other. She even managed to pick up a cheerio with her pincer grip two nights ago. That cheerio kept her entertained in her new high chair for a good 10min or so, which was great.
She's got a bit of stranger-anxiety now. It took her a day or so to warm up to her Opa who visited recently for 2.5 weeks. She really seemed to like all her cousins though when we went there over labour day weekend. The 4-year-old was particularly enamoured of her.
The only negative thing to have popped up: eczema behind her knees in the creases, and at her elbow creases. I'm not sure we've figured out the right way to treat it yet. We're trying to moisturize there more, but it still looks pretty bad. We're hoping that with cooler weather, it will start to clear up.
Right now my favourite times of day are when she wakes up all smiley after a good night's sleep, and when she starts to drift off on my shoulder before bedtime, when she's got a belly full of milk and just relaxes into my body. I love that feeling of absolute comfort and trust.

10 comments:

Dandle Dreams said...

Look how big she is getting! What a beautiful smile. She's even got her own collection of books.

one-hit_wonder said...

Wow, she looks like you! :) Good job on everything - she looks healthy and happy.

I envy her sleep. My kiddo wakes up at least 7 times/night!

kayjay said...

Awesome update and congrats on getting her up there in weight!! I'm going to the doctor's on Thurs so will post what my girls are at - at last check last month, they were 12lbs 12oz and 11lbs 13oz so I'm hoping they're about the same size as your K. My girls aren't sitting up on their own yet although I keep propping them up on the couch, hoping that today is the day they don't fall over LOL. I'm going to start solids this week as well so we'll see how that goes. You're doing awesome and I hear you about the night wakings to pump...I'm still doing that as well and some nights I'm so tired I just sit there, comatose and let the machine do it's thing. I don't even turn on the lights if I don't have to!

Anonymous said...

What a sweetheart. She looks like such a happy baby. That is awesome that she is sleeping so well - Emma still feeds in the middle of the night - and kudos to you for your dedication. Good job, momma! I can't wait to start solids soon - you'll have to post some pics of baby covered in avocado!

Michelle said...

Six months of pumping. You are a super star! Don't ever let anyone tell you that exclusively pumping doesn't work because K is a testament that it DOES!

For the eczema, try cortisone cream. Shaun has patches of eczema on his head and the cream really keeps it controlled. If he goes even a week without cream he starts scratching. We just put it on with a Q-Tip. I hope K's clears up on its own though!

Anonymous said...

What a cutie pie! She is so big! Congratulations on getting so far with the pumping. What ended up happening with the pumping at work? Are they being supportive?

Victoria said...

She seems so happy and alert. Mommy and daddy must be doing a good job.

Jill M. said...

Yeah!!! It's about time you posted some pics of your cutie patootie! Enjoyed reading your update. It's fun for me to see what's ahead for Ty.

Springroll said...

Oh man, she's absolutely beautiful, Kate! And doing so much already! It's so nice to see your updates on her...and glad that you're hanging in there, too!

one-hit_wonder said...

re: your post on my blog.

yep. what a massive disappointment. i don't think we can do ivf again. it's too expensive plus we can't do it locally so we'd have to fly elsewhere.

maybe the frosties will work. who knows? i am very grateful to have one child.