Friday, August 6, 2010

Update on pumping in OR

So the woman called back to say that I absolutely cannot continue to do this. That they have told my department chief that he needs to figure out a way for my colleagues to help me meet my pumping needs. I truly see no way for that to happen. None of us have 3x25 min a day to allow me to pump. Heck, none of us ever usually have a 25min break, and if we do have one, we need to eat lunch or pee.
I reiterated my suggestion that perhaps I could be allowed to pump at my work station in the OR, but could step outside into the "soiled utility room" to attach or detach the pump, and could leave my cooler bag with the milk bottles in it out there until I could transfer the milk to the fridge.
I'm not sure that they'll go along with this, but it's really the only way I can see this working. I don't want to not work just to pump, nor do I want to stop feeding my baby breastmilk because they're trying to make it harder for me to pump. My job just really doesn't offer any other possibilities, and me taking breaks to pump would mean that my OR would have a long delay because of me.
I'm so stressed and worried now. Not good for the milk production either.
ETA: She claims it was the plastic surgeon who made the complaint. How nice of him to discuss it with me first before escalating it. And there I thought we'd had a nice day together in the OR. Why the hell did I have to pick that room?
Another ETA: I remembered last night that I had a long discussion with the surgeon at lunch (while we were waiting for a fire alarm to clear to start our next case) about breastpumping, breastfeeding, the importance of breast milk, how his wife BF their kids for a long time and was so dedicated to making it work. We also were alone in the lounge at the end of the day and had a brief conversation then, and he ever mentioned anything about him not wanting me to pump in the OR. Grr.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow. I'm really disappointed that there's so little flexibility. I truly hope you can find a solution that allows you to continue to pump at work. Just, grrrrrrr.

Amanda said...

Yeah, that is extremely discouraging... pumping is real work that takes time and consistency. I'm wondering if you have any federal laws to protect you here. And, I don't know the story, but is there a reason that you did not take or were not allowed to take your year's maternity leave? I wish we had a deal that sweet down here.

Kate said...

I didn't take the year off because we need the income, my DH wanted to take 3 months off with her as well, another colleague was also going on mat leave just after me and the department was going to be short-staffed, and I didn't want to totally lose my knowledge and skills by being away for too long. I only would have been partially compensated for 35 weeks, not the full year, had I taken more time.

one-hit_wonder said...

Kate, I'm really mad on your behalf! I'll write letters/e-mails, too, if you want! Good grief. Bm is sterile and, not only that, antibacterial. Everyone would be lucky to have bm spilling on them!

And how very unprofessional of the plastic surgeon not to speak to you, first, and also to let you know that he/she was going above your head!

hil said...

I hadn't seen this mentioned yet but the new healthcare law covers this. They must give you breaks if they employ over 50 people. This is not a forever thing, and I only wish I worked with you and could cover your breaks. It would be an honor for anyone to do that and help your baby get the goodies!

http://www.mamaknowsbreast.com/archive/2010/04/new-health-care-law-and-pumping-breast-milk-at-work/

K said...

:( This is ludicrous. What an ass that doctor is. I'm so sorry.

Once Upon A Time said...

Wow- I am so sorry you are dealing with this! I hope you get it all sorted out in a way that makes both sides satisfied. You should check into laws concerning this... I think there are some that hopefully should help your case!

Kate said...

I read this a few days ago- and honestly did not even know what the hell to say since I am so angry.
I am angry mostly at the surgeon for not dealing with this with you directly. But also- to have such levels of inflexibility that there seem to be so few solutions at a health care facility? well, that's just nutty.

I understand needing the income but can you "job share" and take every other case on the short case day?

I know if there was a solution like that that worked for what you need you would have found it.

Now to change the subject-I keep thinking if your gloriously svelte body during pregnancy since apparently I am on the other end of the normal curve. Granted I am short, but good lord. So yeah. I admit, in this moment, I am envious.

birdsandsquirrels said...

Wow. That is absolutely ridiculous. I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this! You have worked so hard to breastfeed and have developed a system that works for you in your busy job and they are being totally ridiculous about it!
I hope they will agree to your suggestion. Don't back down Kate!

Victoria said...

Wow. You're a hard worker. I hope you don't feel guilty when you take your breaks to pump.

If I could, I would help to allow you time to pump.

Dandle Dreams said...

It sounds like you've been doing everything possible to make sure your pumping doesn't disrupt the flow of the OR. Here you are, back at work already, doing a great job when they are short staffed, and trying to pump breastmilk to feed your child. I can't believe they would be so inconsiderate. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Lisa said...

Sorry to hear about the jerk plastic surgeon. What a nightmare! I hope you can get things straightened out and come up with a fair solution that will allow you to continue pumping. It's definitely stress you don't deserve or need!