Friday, November 25, 2011

37 - ugh

Today's my 37th birthday. I just can't get at all excited about it though. I don't know if it's because the only real present I got (aside from the one waiting for me at my house from my Mom) is a card with a monetary gift from my father-in-law, or if it's just because my biological clock is still ticking away and DH is still saying no to a second baby. Whatever the reason, this hasn't been a terribly fun day. The highlight was a few wonderful kisses from K, which just made my day.

It's hard to know where to start on an update about K these days. She's such a busy girl, and very entertaining. Her speech is growing in leaps and bounds. She's started to lisp a little which I find very cute and I'm sure she'll grow out of. "Tanz" (= dance, said with a lisp) and "Ganz" (= goose, also said with a list) were two favourites today. I think she says "Tanz" whenever she wants to listen to music or hears music playing, rather than when she actually wants to dance. She'll say "Fross" (Frosch = frog), "Necke" (Schnecke = snail), Hund (= dog, said for the first time on Nov 23rd instead of the usual woof woof), Katze (= cat, said for the first time today), Tash' (Tasche = pocket or bag) and too many other words to really remember off the top of my head. It's obvious she's understanding more and more, and now when she wants to eat or drink something, I can get her to eat a spoonful of something else by telling her she needs to eat one bite of whatever before I give her what she wants. She's starting to put words together more now too, like "mehr Brot" (more bread), "mehr Wasser" (more water), "Mama Hand" (when she wants mama to give her her hand). Today she wanted me to sit down with her when we were out at a park, and she came over, put her hands on my bum, and started pushing me over towards the bench, saying "Sitss" (Sitz = seat). She keeps saying "Pizza" which often actually means "Fische" (fish) because she wants me to play our magnet fishing game with her. "Pfau" (peacock) has turned into a huge favourite after our trip to the zoo yesterday. She likes saying "heiss" (hot), "Licht" (light), and "Boo" (Buch = book), as well as "Shos" (Schoss = lap) and "Eia" (Eier = eggs).
Her temper is starting to show more and more as well though, with her throwing things to the ground when she gets upset. It took quite a few tries the other day for her to pick something up when I asked her to after she's tossed it on the ground, but I refused to go on and play something else with her till she'd fixed her mess. A firm hand doesn't seem to have affected her much, as she still generally prefers Mama to Papa, and always wants me to carry her around even when Papa tries to take her off my hands.
She seems to be getting more interested in potty training these days, as she'll grab herself and say "Pee-pee" and head for the bathroom when I ask if she needs to go. So far, she's never managed to produce anything on the toilet/potty, but she sure looks proud of herself for sitting on it for a while, and even pulls off a piece of toilet paper to try to wipe her bum with.
K's a bit of a daredevil these days, trying to climb over railings, climbing on chairs, and sometimes refusing to hold your hand to go up or down stairs. She loves to run, and particularly loves to try to splash in puddles, almost always when she's not wearing rain boots.
And her latest thing? She loves to do "chin-chin" and clink glasses with everyone at the table, particularly Opa. Our neighbour had us over for dinner a couple weeks back and introduced her to the procedure, and since then, nearly every meal involves multiple "chin-chin" episodes. It's really very cute.
All in all, I'm so grateful to have my little girl. I just wish DH would agree to give her a little brother or sister so she won't grow up lonely in a house of adults.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Happy birthday! I turned 36 yesterday. :)

Anonymous said...

I know I'm weeks late, but happy birthday! I'm sorry that DH is still saying no. I keep hoping that he will change his mind.

K sounds like so much fun!