Tuesday, August 9, 2011

She can hold a grudge

I must have done something to annoy K last night - maybe when I wouldn't let her sit on my lap and bang away at my partially eaten plate of dinner after she was finished with hers? At any rate, K decided Papa was her very favourite person, and refused to take her bedtime bottle from me. She and I always snuggle while she drinks her bottle (if I'm not on call). Not last night. She only would let Papa hold her bottle and snuggle her. And then she wouldn't come to me for a hug before going up to bed. And then she refused to let me carry her up and put her down. Instead, she clung to Papa's arm and pushed my hand away saying "nein" when I put my hands out to see if she'd come to me.
Sniff.
DH kept reminding me that I'd just been telling him the day before when she only wanted Mama that she'd go through phases of wanting one of us more than the other, and that it would keep on changing. Too bad it hurt a lot more than I expected when I was on the receiving end of the rejection! He said she'd get over it by the next morning, but she was all about Papa again today after I got her up. I only came a little more in favour after DH left on his business trip.

In other news, I'm feeling like we should get on with having another baby. If we're going to have another, I don't want them to be far apart in age. Once we really get out of the diapers and schlepping a bunch of stuff when travelling stage, I don't want to go back to it. DH _really_ only wants the one we've got. He feels that we had trouble getting pregnant, trouble with the pregnancy, trouble with breastfeeding. And that he's overwhelmed by just one. He keeps saying how lucky we are to have such a wonderful girl, who sleeps well, eats well, and is in good health. He's convinced a second baby would be a little demon, and that he'd have absolutely no time to himself at all.
While I can see his points, and also worry about how two kids would do sharing a bedroom, and would K's sleep be totally disrupted by sharing with a sibling, and how later in life we'd have more trouble managing extracurricular activities, I don't feel like I'm done after one child. If we don't get pg on our own, or if our frozen embryos don't work, I don't think I'd have the energy and motivation to go through another fresh IVF. I'd be happy with the one wonderful child that I have. But I also would like to have another child to love, and would really like for K to have a sibling to grow up with.
Sigh. Life would be a lot easier if I could just surprise DH with a second baby...

2 comments:

Victoria said...

K knows many love her and she can pick as she like... I'd say go for the other one. Don't leave a big age gap.

birds and squirrels said...

I am late commenting on this post, but I wanted to say that I am in the same boat about wanting another baby. My husband says he is done, and I understand his reasons (the same as your husbands!), but again, like you, I don't feel like I am done. I can't let it go. I really do want Birdie to have a sibling to grow up with, and I want to be pregnant again and experience the babyhood again. I agree, it would be much easier if we could just have surprises! I keep hoping that he will come around...

It is so hard when they play favorites! I haven't been the one shunned yet, but for the past two weeks, B has been refusing dad, not letting him give her a bath, not wanting me to be out of the room. I am sure it will switch at some point and I will be the one with hurt feelings. What strange little creatures they are!